Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hummus-A 'Good Thing' I'm Happy to Share

I really like hummus.  My kids really like it, too.  I pack it as the entrée in my kids' lunches every other week with pita chips.  I have purchased Sabra brand hummus, to the tune of $3.99 plus a container, when I have been in a rush and unable to make it myself.  When time has allowed, I have made a batch for us to eat, but I have always been disappointed in the texture.  My hummus always seemed grainy, where the ones I purchased from the grocery store were so smooth.  Over the years, I have tried recipe after recipe but I never found one that reaped creamy, smooth hummus.  I finally decided that a little research was in order, if I was ever going to find out why the ones at the store were so much better.

It didn't take me long to find the answer either.  I read two different blogs in a very short amount of time that stated the trick is to peel the outer layer of the bean off before grinding them.  I decided that if two people said it, there must be something to it.  I drained two cans of chickpeas, reserving the liquid to use later in the recipe.  I was hopeful that I could just squeeze the beans and the outer "skin" would just come off.  Although many of the beans were easier than others, most of them didn't just peel right off and it took a long time to get to all the beans.  I didn't actually clock it, but I know I was at it for an entire movie and then some.  Two hours of my time can be quite valuable, or expensive if that description can apply here.  Nevertheless, I persevered and peeled them all.  I placed them in the food processor and pulsed them until they become powdery crumbs.  I scraped the sides down, and pulsed it another four to five times.  I added one cup of purchased tahini, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 4 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt, and more than 1/2 cup reserved chickpea canned packing water.  I blended everything together in the food processor until completely mixed and creamy.  I had pita bread left over from gyros I made earlier in the week, so I heated it up and used it to dip in the hummus.  Yum!! 

I have a recipe to make homemade naan, so that may be my next adventure.


So, to recap:

2 cans 15-ounce chickpeas, drained and peeled
1 cup tahini paste
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more to taste
4 small cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon table salt, or more to taste
Approximately 1/2 cup reserved chickpea canned water, more to reach the creamy texture you desire

Grind the chickpeas until powdery crumbs.  Add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt, and blend.  Add reserved water until desired texture is achieved.  Add any additional seasonings for taste you desire: paprika, basil, parsley...Makes 3 1/2 cups hummus.

If you never take the time to make this recipe, I hope that you appreciate the time it takes and how tasty it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment