Wednesday, August 21, 2013

No Money and No Time Makes Shauna Go Something, Something, Something....

Go crazy? Don't mind if I do!

Over the past year, two things have happened that have rocked my world.  We had some financial situations and obligations pile up, and I went back to work.  For fourteen year, I was used to planning a menu and having time to shop of the better deals on food.  I was used to having all day to get dinner ready.  Luckily, I'm also used to cooking more than one meal in a day.

Since I work while the kids are in school, and I haul them all around town the rest of the time, I don't have a lot of time to cook and clean anymore.  Since I am only working in order to eliminate the debts that have suddenly popped up, I have resorted to cooking less gourmet meals.  My new mean plan includes less expensive ideas and ingredients, but is also fairly easy to prepare some items ahead of time...on cooking day.  This will continue to be a plan in progress, but I have come up with my first month...for September.  It just might repeat itself all year.

My plan was relatively simple. First, I made seven categories: beef, pork, beans, vegetarian, pasta, seafood, and poultry.  I assigned these categories to a day of the week.  In my case, Sunday is beef, Monday is pork, Tuesday is beans, Wednesday is vegetarian, Thursday is pasta, Friday is seafood, and Saturday is poultry.  Secondly, I chose five easy to prepare and less expensive entrees for each category.  I included recipes that cook quickly or in a crockpot.  I also tried to choose entrees that can be prepared on Saturday or Sunday and keep well in the refrigerator or freezer all week until needed. 
Thirdly, I also pack the girls lunch instead of having them buy in the school cafeteria.  It would definitely make my life easier if they could eat at school, but for now we need to save the money.  Ugh!  Anyway, I chose ten quick to fix entrees, especially those that can be prepared ahead of time.  These ten entrees just repeat over and over for the whole year.  Although it can get boring, at least there are ten things to choose from instead of just a sandwich everyday.  Lastly, the girls are dropped off at school at 6:25am for band practice.  Neither of them are early breakfast eaters.  I chose light, easy to eat on the run foods, expect for Saturday.  Typically on Saturday, we eat later in the morning, so instead of lunch, we eat dinner earlier...I know, like old people!

When I had my 35 entrees chosen, I created a simple menu to plug them into, along with school lunch and simple, on-the-go breakfasts for the girls.  I have only chosen the entrees because I rely on freezer stocked sides and what I get in my Bountiful Basket each week to complete the meals.  The girls lunch usually has a fruit cup, cheese stick, juice pouch, chips, snack cracker or mix, and cookies.  Having a plan is half my battle every day!

I have compiled my menu and looked up recipes to find the easiest and least expensive ways to cook them.  I am working on my grocery list next.

 

So, here's my plan so far.  I hope to much better financially in a couple of months.  I think I will really mix cooking fancy after a while.  I hope the simplicity will make it easier on me while I am working!


No comments:

Post a Comment