Tuesday, July 12, 2011

These are the Salad Days

Because summer in Texas is HHHHOOOOTTTTT, I have been trying out menus and recipes that do not require the oven, cook top, or even the outside grill when possible.  I am trying new salads, sandwiches, and lighter fare that doesn't take long to prepare.  I haven't been able to eliminate the heating of food items completely, but I have definitely cut back.

I have been trying out new salads, for sure, and the one I tried last night is very good!

Market Salad
(net carbs 4g)

3 boiled eggs
4 thick slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
2 cups green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces, cooked and drained
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil, chives, or italian parsley
4 cups washed salad greens, of choice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1.  Place eggs in small pot with water to cover; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Immediately remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes.  Drain; cool eggs to room temperature.

2.  Combine bacon, green beans, basil, and salad greens in large salad bowl.  Peel and coarsely chop eggs; stir into salad.  Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in small bowl; whisk and drizzle over salad.  Toss gently to coat.


I used basil and cilantro, romaine lettuce, and I doubled the dressing mixture.  Steve said that it could have used more bacon.  It was very tasty.  I served it alone with garlic bread sticks.

Give it a try.  I hope you like it as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment