Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Oh, and the ice cream we will eat

Ah, yes.  There are two givens in Texas.  Extreme heat and ice cream for my birthday and the 4th of July.  Last Saturday, we drove out west to pick up the girls from camp.  On the way home, we stopped in Weatherford, TX at the Farmer's Market.  We bought tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, seeless watermelon, and yellow meat watermelon.  The main reason we picked this Farmer's Market was because we were in the Peach Capital...so we bought peaches, too.

Every year, we make homemade ice cream.  In th beginning, we made large batches of one flavor, but over the years, we have morphed to smaller batches of more flavors.  Recently, it has become the Homemade Neopoliton, 2 quart batches of each.  Steve willingly spends the entire afternoon in the garage making batch after batch.  It usually ranges around 100 degrees, and that my friends is how I know he still loves me.

I am using my tried and true recipes for the chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, but I've been searching for the perfect peach recipe.  I have narrowed it down to two.  One uses eggs just like my other three recipes, along with cream, but adds cornstarch...and I am supposed to cook it in the microwave, which I've never done with the other batches.  The other recipe uses condensed sweetended milk and no eggs, so no precooking is necessary.  I prefer the precooked style recipes because it makes a custard-like base.  The egg-less recipe also uses twice as many peaches.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...the winner is the egg based recipe, but with more peaches.  I really hope that works!

This afternoon, I am going to blend and precook all the ice cream batches.  They need to be very cold before we freeze them, so will just sit in the refrigerator and wait until Saturday. 

1 comment: