Sunday, June 26, 2011

As if I didn't have enough to do

My favorite pasttime hands down has to be cooking.  I find that cooking is theraputic and relaxing.  It allows me to think through my concerns and rewards me with savory or sweet goodness when I do.  I can cut and chop, and catch up on dvr'd programs.  I can blend and stir, and still here the latest story from one of my daughters.  Besides a completed project somewhere inside the house, I can't think of anything I do consistantly that brings me such satisfaction as a happy, full family.

I plan menus each week, or most weeks, and I am always looking for new and interesting things to prepare.  I know that many of my Facebook friends could care less what I am cooking, but some of them like to cook as well.  I decided to create another blog that I can, on occasion, put up my latest food finds.  For those of you that take the time to look, I hope it inspires you to find new foods, too.

I have been working on my upcoming menu for the Independence Holiday weekend.  My birthday is the 3rd of July, so as you can imagine the 4th is my favorite holiday.  In years past, I have planned international themed menus, traditional menus, and simply fun menus to correspond with the days before and just after the 4th of July.  Every year, my best friend, Steve, and one of my three favorite daughters, Renata, make homemade ice cream for me.  Typically, we have chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.  Steve's favorite homemade ice cream is peach, so this year he gets to make himself ice cream, too.

Friday, July 1, we will have margherita pizza and garlic parmesan boneless chicken wings.  I love the simplicity of margherita pizza-fresh mozzerella cheese, basil, and tomatoes. I am planning to let Renata help me make the pizza dough, and Kegan will help dress it.

Saturday, July 2, we will have fish tacos, black bean salad, and red velvet cupcakes.  I was watching the Food Network last Thursday and one of the shows was about fish tacos.  She fried them and that is not my favorite. It sparked a memory of the fish tacos at The Oasis on Joe Pool Lake.  They are on flour tortillas and the fish is seared on the griddle.  I made them Thursday night, and I liked them so much they are on for this weekend. 

Sunday, July 3, we will have brisket, potato salad, old fashioned macaroni and cheese, grilled corn on the cob, and all the fixins' for eating the brisket as tacos or as bar-be-que (pickles, onions, jalapenos, pico de gallo, cheese, etc).

Monday, July 4, we will have a lot of leftovers, I'm sure.  Just in case, I will have burgers and hot dogs on stand by.

I will shop on Tuesday, start prepping on Wednesday and Thursday, and hopefully, start blogging the recipes, pictures, and thoughts on Friday.  I hope that I can make it sound good enough to try it yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Aham.......where is the ice cream in all this? I see no ice cream....
    Love a food blog....you're such a great cook....love to hear what your cooking. I feel the exact same way about cooking!

    ReplyDelete